Tuesday, 20 March 2012

I'm Not the Silent Type - OpenLinkNight week 36 @dVersepoets

Hush, Shhh! Quietness is not for me; I'm
Not a muted man. Commit to choice, the
Cool of shade? And mask your silent crime.
Prisoner to your personality,
Shackled to your pride, quiescent victim of
Your shame. No audience to entertain.
A member of  a one-man-band, in love
With solitude, and partner to disdain.
Take yourself away from me. I
Cannot comprehend it. It's your disease;
Timidity; affliction of the shy
The noiseless silence leaves me ill-at-ease.
Sing to me, my friend. It's your choice.
I'm afraid, and need comfort in your voice.



This is one my first poems. I wrote it in response to how some people can feel uncomfortable around quieter people. I performed this as part of my first Toastmasters speech.

9 comments:

  1. I like it. I wrote a poem about a similar subject once. Although, I was (still am pretty much) the quiet and shy person. It was kind of a response to T.S.Elliot's "Love Song of J. Alffred Prufrock". Anyway, very good work. Some of the rhymes were somewhat unnoticeable but I think that's what makes it even cooler. You demonstrate the quietness of the speaker by hiding the rhymes in the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Anthony. I must have a read of T.S Elliot's Love song. You're very diplomatic about the rhyme-scheme he he.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it as well--especially the last 2 lines--

    Sing to me, my friend. It's your choice.
    I'm afraid, and need comfort in your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. smiles...i will take the noise of life over the brooding silence any day...there are certainly moments for it but not when we are together...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice, no need to stiffle any voice, let them out and about every time, great write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great poem to arise as out of the gates, so to speak. Those moments that come in front of crowds are intimidating, I know. It's supposed to be one of the top five fears that people have. I like the final lines where friendship and singing form the bond that brings us out of perhaps unhealthy need for solitude. There may be something there that points to a guding principle of community.

    ReplyDelete
  7. (don't tell anybody...) shhhhh, but quiet people make me a bit uneasy too.

    Congrats on the toastmasters!! you sound like a real life go-getter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a chatty person..I'm a chatty person myself yet married to a quiet one and sometimes feel exactly as you have written in this poem. I love the vagaries of your rhythm and rhymes ...life is like that...not always too precise. Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic poem! Love the pace to this piece :) Engages the reader...coaxes them from their own slumber...fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete