Thursday, 1 March 2012

Deja Entendu (Rondeau Redouble [ish])

dVerse - Spoken Word Poem (I think)

You've heard it all before, my clichéd rhyme,
So accede to the fact, it will be slanted.
If there is rhyme at all, have I the time,
Or wherewithal, to make you feel enchanted?

Plagiarise the poet, name supplanted,
Complacent as I execute this crime.
Verse that’s not my own, I’ll take for granted,
You’ve heard it all before, my clichéd rhyme.

Parlance so hackneyed, it’s steeped in brine,
And rhyme so rotten, you’ll think I’m far-fled.
I’ll state the ridiculous, not the sublime,
So accede to the fact, it will be slanted.

Rudimentary prose that I’ve transplanted,
(Sonnet’s are senescent-I’m disinclined).
Persevere with pentameter? Why chance it?
If there is rhyme at all, have I the time?

Perform my verse aloud? I’d rather mime-
Than leave an audience disenchanted.
Lines so perverse, I haven’t the spine
Or wherewithal, to make you feel enchanted.

In truth, tradition is a fruitful climb;
Flourished from the seeds of which you’ve planted.
Learn of the bard while you are in your prime.
Poesy, I’ll never take for granted.
You've heard it all.


N.B I hope this fits the bill? As a relatively new writer, I've recognised that my writing style leans towards spoken-word. We have a Freeway Poets Night, down here in the South of England, giving everyone an opportunity to stand up and speak. I had a go (once).

19 comments:

  1. i think it's a great exercise to read the poems aloud...i'm a big fan of slams because of the immediate reaction and the interaction with the audience..sometimes i read my poems to my kids and they will tell me quite frankly if they like them or not...smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to seek out some children :)

      Delete
  2. Rhyme is quite popular in spoken word, and I like how the piece is driven by humor. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a new poet, you write a a very fine verse. We each have to find our own way; and you definitely have. (Visiting from dVerse, one of my favorite poetry sites in the blogosphere)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the tongue and love the cheekiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My tongue is firmly placed in my cheek :)

      Delete
  5. There seems to be a bit of bite in your rhyme! This works and is certainly listenable. I really like poems that celebrate their sounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charles. Your responses are very helpful x

      Delete
  6. You've made me feel enchanted. Right from the first line to the last. A superb write.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes your style does....and you dance quite well among the words....you would rather mime...smiles...ah i bet you def could enchant in reading one....nicely done...fun read....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reminds me of a poem I have. It doesn't rhyme though. I do mostly prose. The rhythm works for the subject. Very cool. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I had a look at your blog; it's all Greek to me :)A subject you obviously know very well !

      Delete
  9. *clapping* I am enchanted; this is wonderful. "Parlance so hackneyed, it's steeped in brine"--on and on i could go. Love the dance. You "mimed" very well. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete